Thursday, November 13, 2014

Daily prayer

I don't recall what grade I was in, or what teacher it was, but we would start class every day with this prayer:

In formal circles, it's known as the Serenity Prayer.

Whatever teacher that was also told us, grade schoolers at St. Ursula's in Parkville, Md., that this was also known as the Alcoholics Anonymous prayer.

Despite the odd pedigree attached to it, I remember thinking as a grade schooler that it was a very comforting mantra.

I saw the prayer the other day, written onto a Pewtarex plate, while waiting to do an interview. I took the above photo.

I felt like I had to take the photo. It's like I was being reminded of the things I've been taught in my sundry religion classes over my lifetime, be they in the classroom or in the pew or somewhere else.

I'm not going to get into the arguments over what religious tradition is correct. I'm not even going to get into an argument over the existence of God. I'm going to focus on this:

Sometimes, life gives you challenges. You've got to know that some of those challenges you can master. Some you can't. And you have to figure out what category your particular challenge falls into, often on the fly.

This is the essence of our human existence. And we share it with each other.

Be serene, and we'll make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment